Next Construction Sector Partnership Meeting
|When:||Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 9:00AM|
|Location:||Tim Barton Education Center
Associated Builders & Contractors NH/VT
58 Chenell Drive, Concord, NH 03301
Zoom login: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83791058434
Meeting ID: 837 9105 8434
One tap mobile: +16465588656,,83791058434# US (New York)
Meeting Notes: September 22, 2021
Thank you Pennichuck Water for hosting the September Construction Partnership Meeting.
Request from I Build NH
We are in the process of updating and adding content to the I Build NH website and would appreciate your feedback.
Thank you to our volunteers:
- Marisa Dardagiannopoulos, Career Center Coordinator, Nashua High School
- Brock Cullen, Construction Trades Instructor, Region 14 Applied Technology Center will have his students provide feedback.
We are open to more. Please call 603-496-2678 or email Jennifer by 10/5 with comments.
Please message us on social media if there is information you would like us to share via our channels. We are active on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook, @IBuildNH. You can also email Kim Wall, our communications consultant, at email@example.com.
October is Careers in Construction Month (CiCM)
Governor Sununu has once again signed the proclamation declaring October Careers in Construction Month. How will you participate? I Build NH would like to expand our presence and here’s how you can help:
Share Your Success Story –
- Have you hired a student recently?
- Has your agency placed a job seeker with a construction company?
- Have you started an apprenticeship program?
- Are you students working on a cool project?
Let us know and we’ll share your story.
- “Building Our Communities” Playlist – We are looking for videos featuring New Hampshire employees working on New Hampshire Construction Projects to add to our YouTube playlist. We will share the playlist with students, educators, parents and community agency partners…as well as through our Social Media channels. Email us if you have a YouTube video you’d like us to add.
- Become a mentor with the ACE Mentorship Program at Oyster River, Winnacunnet or Londonderry High Schools. Email NH ACE more information
- Connect with your local schools. You and your company can be listed in a new database used by educators looking to connect with industry. To get connected, contact:
Colton Briggs / AWATO
Work Based Learning Consultant
603-783-1341 /firstname.lastname@example.orgSample ways to get connected to your future workforce
- Informational interviews
- Job shadows
- Part-time, summer, and/or full-time employment
- Class presentations (live or virtual
- Jobsite tours (live or virtual)
- Resume reviews
- Mock interviews
- Career fair participation
Employers, don’t forget there is a tax credit for your work with the CTE’s. And the process is quite easy!
Education and Community Agency Partners:
- Host a speaker in person or virtually
- Share the I Build NH videos
Contact Jennifer to learn more: 603-496-2678 email@example.com
Send your videos and/or stories to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Job Fairs
- September 28th, 2021 – Seacoast Region Virtual Job Fair, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- September 30th, 2021 – White Mountains and North Woods Regions Virtual Job Fair, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- October 5th, 2021 – Monadnock and Dartmouth Regions Virtual Job Fair, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
There are many education opportunities for those already in the trades. Check out upcoming opportunities for safety, business development, leadership, HR, and more:
- Associated Builders & Contractors NH/VT
- NH Home Builders Association, Certified Aging in Place Specialist
- UNH Technology Transfer Center
UNH Technology Transfer Center
Marilee LaFond, UNH Technology Transfer Center (NH LTAP), with UNH T2 encourages folks to check out the free training available through UNH T2. She would be happy to chat with anyone interested in training in highway construction practices and start earning credit in our “NH Roads Scholars” program.
“Our website has a lot of info t2.unh.edu but our training calendar lists virtual sessions coming up, and I’d be happy to chat with anyone about the resources we provide that may be applicable to their students! Marilee.Enus@unh.edu We provide NH’s Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP) services through FHWA and NHDOT, so lots from our partners also.”
Both the Masonry Apprenticeship and Carpentry Apprenticeship programs are still in development. We are working with NHTI in Concord to host Masonry and Manchester Community College to host Carpentry. The target date to begin both programs is January 2022
Region 14 Applied Technology Center is meeting with representatives from Pennichuck to discuss an industry/education partnership
Nashua is looking to connect with Pennichuck for the same.
Connect with Jennifer if you are interested in connecting with industry. We can help make the connection.
NHPBS instructional videos are live and a great resource for educators and anyone interested in a deeper look at the featured trades. Check them out.
Jennifer Kiley / Brock Cullen, Region 14 Applied Technology Center: They had a grant through the NH DOE that fell through. They are in need of supplies for their programs. Masonry class needs supplies desperately. They currently have one trowel. They also need volunteers who would be willing to come into the classes to talk about their trades.
Nashua High School is looking to expand their advisory and bring people to the school to showcase the industry. Contact:
Marisa Dardagiannopoulos, M.Ed
Career Center Coordinator, Nashua Technology Center
Nashua, NH School District – SAU #42, Phone Number: (603) 966-1120
SNHU’s Construction Management Program is looking to partner with industry for guest speakers and site visits. Contact Nathaniel St Jean, Program Coordinator, Construction Management Department, Architect, Assistant Professor of Construction Management, email@example.com
NH Job Launch: Job Launch offers a one-stop shop for the jobseeker in any stage of addiction recovery. They meet the individual “where they’re at” and guide them, via confidential and free one-on-one service, using a comprehensive service plan that is customized to their personal vocational and recovery needs.
They travel to treatment centers and do a series of workshops to help prepare those in recovery to enter or re-enter the workforce. Recovery coaching and support is rolled into entering a new career. They are not a recruitment agency and take no fee from the clients. Find out more.
Granite State Independent Living has a student seeking work-based learning experience related to HVAC in the Hudson, NH area. Availability is Fridays, from 9:00-12:00 beginning, October 8th through January 14th
HVAC Apprentice Placement: Jerry, A NH Employment Program participant, is having difficulty getting his foot in the door as an HVAC apprentice/assistant in the Rochester area. He has contacted about 10 different small companies and they said they don’t have the capacity to take a new person on without any experience right now. Jerry is working with WorkNowNH to go to the NH School of Mechanical Trades. The class started at the end of August and he will be in class on Tues and Fri every week until November He would then do the same thing in January for air conditioning and taking classes about 2x per week. Jerry is hoping to get a part time/full time job while in classes and working under someone that would be willing to train him and mentor him in this trade.
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA): This is a federally funded program that assists with career training. WIOA is designed to strengthen and improve our nation’s public workforce system and help get Americans, including youth and those with significant barriers to employment, into high-quality jobs and careers and help employers hire and retain skilled workers. Read More
Katie Delay – President of NAWIC Granite State Chapter
- Looking forward to partnering with organizations
- Upcoming meetings
- October 13, meeting at the Atkinson Heights to tour their new building being built by Lewis Builders. Students are welcome to attend.
- October 28 & 29, Northeast region meeting in Portsmouth
- Open positions they are actively trying to fill
- They would be interested in working with CTE’s.
- Water supply, engineering, business